Sunday, April 15, 2012

DVD Collectiong

The greatest thing invented by mankind is Film. And I genuinely believe that, just like I believe that one day we will be invaded by aliens and I will be the leader of the resistance in my city. But that's for another topic. There's one thing most people don't realize and that's there are two kinds of DVD collectors. Here they are:

The Specific Collector.
The General Collector.

What's the difference between the two? The Specific Collector is someone like me. I will only buy movies that I liked, enjoyed, interested in and can see myself watching over and over again. The General Collector is someone who just buys films just for the heck of it. I'm fall in with the later. Personally I've seen movies that I've enjoyed, but I will not buy them because I can't picture myself sitting down and watching them again. For example, I grew up watching Family Matter, Fully House, The Wonder Years, Step By Step, Ninja Turtles etc. But I will never buy them on DVD -- ever. Why? Because they were good at the time, but not now.

General Collectors will simply buy it because it's out and they just like to collect cinema. I like to collect cinema, heck, I like film just as much as a General Collector, but I just don't see the point in buying movies that no longer interest me. Time and time again I see YouTubers -- who in their own right, can do it, and I admire them fore it -- buy movies just for the sake of getting it because it's out.

Also, being a Specific Collector, you collect within your likes. I will not buy drama, even though there are some movies that I like that are dramas i.e. Little Miss Sunshine. However, other than that I will not buy them. Nonetheless, not only will I not buy movies from a genre I don't care for, I will not always blind buy. General Collectors don't worry about buying something that is completely awful! I can't do that, unless I can find a place that has good movies for cheep, such as a Good Will or a Pawn Shops that have DVDs. And in my area there are no Good Wills... That I know of. Some collectors will buy a movie, and even thought the cover says it all "fuckin' cheese, just fuck off while you can!" They will still buy it. I. Can't. Do. That.

However, if that's you, a General Collector, then go for it as long as you're doing what you enjoy. But for me I will remain a Specific Collector of DVDs.

-- Connor Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment