Thursday, May 10, 2012

Firefly

The greatest TV show of all-time -- Firefly. This show is such a priceless treasure to me that if I had to choose one movie to take with me on an island, it would most likely be Firefly. Why? Because it's that freakin' awesome. Personally, I never really gave a damn about sci-fi, until I began watching Firefly. It's that dear to me. As a mater of fact I watch the entire series at least twice a month. Yeah it's that damn good. Put it this way, prior to Firefly if you told me that they had Sci-Fi space Westerns genre, I'd probably laugh in your face. But when I saw Firefly for the first time -- I fell in love. I'm now a huge fan of Joss Whedon and his brilliant stories.

I remember when I first saw it -- I loved it, but the theme song I hated it. However, but by the third episode I realized the theme song for Firefly was all about Captain Malcolm Reynolds. I began to appreciate it even more. Then came the sad news -- Fox 11 canceled it. Why? For no damn reason at all. The ratings were high. The fans loved it. It was so good, even after it was canceled the fans tried to raise money so that Nathan Fillon would be able to purchase it and continue Firefly. They sent dinosaurs to Fox. Letters. E-mails. Everything, I wouldn't be surprised if some people sold their souls to the devil just to bring back Firefly.

This is how I truly felt about the cancellation of Firefly -- I must add, they didn't even air all of the episodes -- I felt cheated. I felt so cheated. I was so dedicated to this series, or better yet when I found a series I actually enjoyed, I felt like Fox committed a hate crime. Every time I watch an episode of Firefly there's a sense of longing -- longing for the Serenity crew to return and kick ass. I miss Inara's graceful beauty and great sense of calm. Kaylee's innocent nature and interesting snaps at Simon. I wish to see Simon and Kaylee become an item (even though they did in the movie Serenity), while River continues doing freaky things that make everyone panic or laughing while she threatens Jaynee about being able to "kill him with her brain". Shepherd, I want to know more about him. Zoe one of the best characters on the show. So calm and loyal to Captain Reynolds. Jaynee Cobbs what more can you say about him? He made the show with his unstable loyalty and his snarky remarks. And then we have Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Mal, Sarge, we miss his witty humor. But I saved the best for last -- Wash -- what a funny man he is! His humor. I.e. Kaylee: Wash, do you think I'm pretty? Wash: If I was not wed I'd take you in a manly fashion. Kaylee: Because I'm pretty? Wash: Because you're pretty. Ahhh -- such a fantastic show.

I miss the Chinese cursing -- the alliance -- the western atmosphere -- the shootouts -- the companions -- the insane jokes about Simon. I -- I -- I miss Firefly. Dammit Fox why'd you do it? But you know what? Like all loyal Browncoats, we have faith that they will bring another Firefly movie or they will bring Friefly back -- hopefully. There's nothing wrong with hope, right? Well until the day they bring back Firefly kick ass Browncoats! Fox, cancel my shows and ignore our pleads, but they can't take the sky from me!

Watch the Serenity trailer down below!

-- Connor Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment