Monday, February 13, 2012

Terra Nova

Synopsis: In the year 2149 over population and the decline of quality air has put a vice on planet Earth. Scientist have discovered a time riff, which enabled them to send people back into the Cretacious period to give society a chance to start over.

 
Sci-Fi has never really been a genre I liked growing up -- it was always Action and Horror. However, I can't really say I never watched Sci-Fi movies and TV shows. Alien series, Preditor, Terminator, Jurrassic Park etc were a few Sci-Fi films that I enjoyed. Especially Terminator (I was obsessed with it and still am!) Nonetheless, in recent years, I've become more and more fond of the sci-fi genre. I like Sci-Fi, but I'm not to fond of Star Trek or Star Wars -- it's all about Firefly! That's for a rainy day.

 
Recently, I've been really into Terra Nova. When I first saw it, I was amazed by this interesting show. Yes I can say there are something that are problemsome with the story, but regardless I still find Terra Nova extremely entertaining.

 
In the year 2149 the Earth has been over populated and the air quality is very poor; they require a breathing apparatus. The Shannons are a family that were selected to go through a time riff to give humanity a new start. However, Jim Shannon was placed in prison for assaulting another police officer when their house was searched for a third child. At this time families are only allowed three children. After being sent to prison, his wife helps him break free.

After breaking out Jim reunites with his family and they make it through the portal into the past where they confront Commander Nathaniel Taylor -- a total bad-ass by the way! I think Taylor is such an awesome character because you really don't know if you should trust him or not. So far it appears that you can trust him. After all Jim wasn't suppose to be there he snuck across and Taylor allowed him to stay (they can't go back), but Taylor ended up liking him.

Terra Nova is very unique considering that there another group of people known as the Six-ers who were hired by people in the future to do their bidding: Over throw Taylor and take over Terra Nova so that the people in the future can mine the past to make a fortune. Taylor's son was thought to be dead, but it turns out he's working for the people who hired the six-ers to over throw Terra Nova. There's plenty of mysteries in the show. One example is a sea vessel during the times of the dinosaurs, which isn't suppose to be there since humans were not alive at the time in history. There's many elements such as that, that make me want to know more about this universe. It makes me thing and ask questions like "Is there an alternate timeline?" "Since they found a time riff does that mean they've distorted the past and the future?" "How the hell did a ship get there?!" Maybe these are not the right questions -- who knows -- it's just somethings the say that cause me to ask questions like that. That's a good thing. It means I'm really into this fuckin' series! I believe this can turn into a Stargate or a Lost (without killing the brain cells of course) and become a fantastic series.

Also the feel the show gives -- or tone, so to speak, is brilliant. I like the feel of wanting to go back in time and start over. I would love to do that, heck I'd be the first one to sign up to go back in time! But of course this is Sci-Fi, so obviously it's not real. So as a hole this show brings out the kid in me. It makes me want to be apart of their society.

If You haven't seen the show check your local listings and try to catch a few episodes because this show is brilliant. I can't get enough of this show. Hopefully the network continues it for more than five seasons and not treat it like they did Firefly. 4.5 Stars out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment