Friday, February 10, 2012

Resident Evil: Extinction

Synopsis: It's been seven years since the Raccoon City incident. The entire world has become an apocalyptic wasteland. Alice is on her own having abandoned her allies after realizing everyone who's around is at risk. She continues on her journey to bring down the Umbrella corporation.

I'll admit, out of all the  entire Resident Evil series, Resident Evil: Extinction was the best. There's so many interesting elements within this movie that made it interesting. In this installment of the franchise we are introduced to a few new characters from the original series: Claire Redfield and Doctor Issac. The movie as a whole was excellent, but the best thing about this movie was the idea of trying to make a "horror" movie that takes place in the day time. No, it wasn't scary, but it simply worked; it gave the film a unique "feel".

Another aspect of the film I enjoyed were the scenes of the apocalypse. I love movies that show the apocalypse! Like George A. Romero's Dead Series, I like them, but there are many things I hate about them. Yes, I'm aware a lot of people are going to want to try to "school" me, telling me why Romero's movies are the best -- that's for another time. back to the review. In my previous review of Resident Evil: Apocalypse I said I hated LJ's character, well in this one, he became a lot more serious and he began to grow on me. In this movie he's a decent character.

I think this one was a lot stronger than its predecessor and possibly the strongest out of the entire series so far. However, there are some major flaws about the film that I didn't like. I don't like the idea that Alice has powers, I mentioned that before. I think that robs the entire point of the Resident Evil "world" -- Resident Evil is about survival, using your wits and conserving ammo (lol) and finding that goddamn save room with that soothing music (I'm being sarcastic with the last part).

There's one more character in this movie that I also hated and that was Betty -- nurse Betty -- what the fuck is this Pokemon? It's such an obvious name for a nurse, and Ashanti, she's hot and she can sing, but she can't act worth a damn! The chemistry between her and LJ just wasn't there.
Overall I did enjoy the movie a lot more than it's predecessor. I rate this movie 4 Stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment